- Changes to Website Content and Materials
We reserve the right, in our discretion and at any time, to suspend, change, modify, add or remove portions of the content available on the Website and to restrict the use and accessibility of the Website.
- User Conduct on the Website/Rules of Submission
Opinions expressed in pieces published by AsiaGlobal Online reflect those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of AsiaGlobal Online or the Asia Global Institute. Authors remain entirely responsible for the opinions expressed, including any potential liability.
As a condition of your use of the Website, you understand and agree that you will not propose content that:
- Infringes on the rights (including copyright, trademark, patent and other intellectual property rights and rights of privacy and publicity) of any third party;
- Is false, misleading, libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, hateful or sexually explicit;
- Degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability or other classification; or
- Contains epithets or other language or material intended to intimidate or to incite violence.
- Third-Party Information
The Information may contain information provided by third parties or sourced by us from business information sources and other references or sources. We are not responsible if any such Information is not up-to-date. We do not always separately verify the Information provided by such third parties or agencies and you are cautioned thus to the reliability and accuracy of the Information accordingly. We do not accept any responsibility whatsoever in respect of such Information. Any use of and reliance on such Information is at your own risk.
- Prohibition of Access and Suspension
Whilst we strive to ensure that our users have 24-hour access to the Website and its content, we cannot guarantee your access and you acknowledge that we do not represent or warrant that the Website will always be available.
You are responsible for your own hardware, software and facilities and we cannot guarantee compatibility of the Website with your systems. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access the Website through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.
We reserve the right to (a) limit, deactivate or suspend the service or any part thereof, with or without notice to you, to carry out system maintenance, upgrading, testing and/or repairs; and/or (b) restrict your access to and use of the Website where we consider it reasonably necessary for the operation of the Website.
- Links to and from the Website
Where the Website may contain third-party-owned content and links to other websites, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over such content and websites, and do not endorse and are not responsible or liable for the content, advertising, products, privacy practices or other materials on or available from the third parties that provide such content and websites.
You may link to any page of the Website, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- Intellectual Property Rights
All intellectual property rights subsisting in respect of the Website belong to us or have been lawfully licensed to us for use on the Website. All such rights under applicable laws are hereby reserved.
While you may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from the Website for your personal, non-commercial reference and use, it remains our property, unless otherwise stipulated. You must not use any part of the materials on the Website for commercial purposes without obtaining a license to do so from us or from our licensors.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of material on the Website must always be acknowledged.
The articles on the website are published under the Creative Commons license “Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 3.0 Hong Kong”. Please refer to the legal code of the license for more detailed information. In summary, under the terms of this license:
- Attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Non-Commercial – You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- NoDerivatives – If you remix, transform or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
In submitting an article, authors and contributors grant AsiaGlobal Online a perpetual license to publish and communicate the material in any format. Authors and contributors also agree to permit us to allow the republishing of the work by other parties, notably via the Creative Commons license.
- Prevention of Viruses
Although we take reasonable steps to prevent the introduction of viruses, worms, “Trojan horses” or other destructive materials to the Website, we and our officers, directors, shareholders, employees, representatives, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, licensors and other third-party providers do not guarantee or warrant that the materials that may be downloaded from the Website do not contain such destructive features. We and our affiliates, agents, licensors and other third-party providers are not liable for any damage or harm attributable to such features. If you rely on the Website and any materials available through the Website, you do so solely at your own risk.
- Limited Liability and Warranty
Your access to and use of the Website is at your sole risk and is provided “as is”, “as available”. The Website is for your personal use only and we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied. References in the Website to any third-party events or services do not constitute or imply our endorsement of any kind.
We do not guarantee or assume any responsibility, and you acknowledge that we make no representation or warranty, that:
- The Information on the Website is accurate, adequate, current or reliable, or may be used for any purpose other than for general reference or as specified in any separate license granted by us;
- The Information on the Website is free of defect, error, omission, virus or anything which may change, erase, add to or damage your software, data or equipment;
- Messages sent through the Internet will be free from interception, corruption or loss;
- Access to the Website will be available or be uninterrupted; or defects in the Website will be corrected.
In no event shall we be liable to you or any other person for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive or consequential damages, including any loss of business or profit, arising out of any use of, or inability to use, errors or omission in the Website or the Information, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
You will exercise and rely solely on your own skill and judgment in your use of the Website and use and interpretation of the Information. You are responsible to ensure that your use of the Website and the Information complies with all applicable legal requirements.
We may, if necessary, participate in the defence of any claim or action and any negotiations for settlement. You will not make any settlement that may adversely affect our rights or obligations without our prior written approval. We reserve the right, at our own expense and on notice to you, to assume exclusive defence and control of any claim or action.
We may, in our sole discretion and at any time, without prior notice to you and without cause, terminate all or any part of our services to you and consequentially prohibit your right to access the Website.
- Partial Invalidity
- Governing Law and Jurisdiction
We aim to ensure that all personal data provided under various applications and notifications are handled in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance and to protecting the privacy of our users.
We respect your privacy and we endeavor:
- To implement computer, physical and procedural safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of the personal data we collect;
- To limit the personal data collected to what is required to provide better service;
- To permit only properly trained, authorized employees to access personal data;
- Not to disclose your personal data to external parties unless you have agreed, we are required by law or we have previously informed you.
Personal Data Collected and Held
In order to provide you with better service, we may collect information when you visit the Website or subscribe to our newsletter. We may also use your personal data to notify you about important changes to the Website and new services if and when we think you will be interested.
The typical types of information held by us are basic contact details (such as name, job title, email and a record of our contact with you), as well as non-nominative data about your visits to the Website (such as type of browser used, pages visited, origin and duration of visit, etc.).
- Main Purposes of Collecting and Keeping Personal Data
The main purposes for which your personal data may be used are:
- Processing your messages for our communication services, enquiry or feedback;
- Our operations, e.g., incorporation into our database, analysis, research and auditing;
- Tracking and examination of our internal procedures in response to enquiries and complaints;
- Surveys, general market research and specific campaigns;
- Processing subscriptions;
- Marketing our services and products;
- To mail communications, publications, invitations and such like as you may select, request or as we may consider to be relevant to you;
- To comply with disclosure requirements under any law applicable in or outside Hong Kong;
- Public notices;
- Legal proceedings, including collecting overdue amounts;
- Other related purposes.
We may conduct direct marketing via fax, email, direct mail, telephone and other means of communication, or send e-newsletters to you. You may choose not to receive promotional materials by simply telling us, and we will cease to do so, without charge.
- Privacy of Personal Data
The information that you provide to us will be treated in strict confidence. We will not divulge or sell personal details to external parties for their own purposes. We will keep the personal data we hold confidential but may provide information to:
- Personnel, agents, advisers, auditors, contractors, financial institutions and service providers in connection with our operations or services;
- Our affiliates, business partners and counterparts;
- Persons under a duty of confidentiality to us;
- Persons to whom we are required to make disclosure under applicable laws in or outside Hong Kong.
We cannot control how third parties use information.
- Security and Retention of Personal Data
Only authorized people have access to, custody of and the means of using personal data that we collect. Data captured online or via the Website are retained in a server that is in compliance with the requirements of the Hong Kong Government, and which protects against unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use. We retain personal data so long as the data is still required for the purposes mentioned above.
- Opt-Out Clause
You may opt out of receiving email messages from us and delete your personal information at any time by sending us an email stating that you wish all such data to be deleted from our records. You may also send us your request to modify your personal data by email to us or by post.
- Links to Other Websites
Please note that the Website contains links to other, external sites. This Statement will no longer be in effect when you browse such external websites. Your browsing and interruption on other websites, including websites that have a link to the Website, is subject to that website’s own rules and policies which may differ from ours. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites and we recommend that you read the privacy policies on any external sites that you use.
- Changes in Policy